Suggested Reading List
Making Marriage Simple by Harville Hendrix PhD (Author),
Helen Hunt, Ph.D. (Author)
(Clicking on the link above will open a new browser window with amazon.ca book description.)
Welcome to the Relationship Revolution! Making Marriage Simple is the accessible, essential road map to building a strong marriage in the modern world. Bestselling authors Harville Hendrix and Helen LaKelly Hunt distill into ten essential truths what they’ve learned about how to create a successful and satisfying relationship—both from their decades of “R&D” in the marriage lab of their workshops, and from their own relationship journey.
In each chapter, Harville and Helen introduce a simple truth—such as “a frustration is a wish in disguise,” “incompatibility is grounds for marriage,” or “conflict is growth trying to happen”—and then walk couples through easy yet effective exercises to help them apply each truth in real life, every day.
Harville and Helen have spent their careers helping couples transform their marriages through research, workshops, and counseling. But marriage—even for marriage experts—is never easy, and a number of years ago they found themselves on the brink of divorce. Harville and Helen put themselves back through the exercises they’d coached so many other couples through, saving their marriage and helping them achieve a true partnership.
This book is for all couples. It offers the practical tools needed to transform one’s relationship into a rewarding and joyous marriage. Written with humor, compassion, and honesty, and illustrated throughout with engaging line drawings, Making Marriage Simple is a strategic blueprint for creating a stronger, more satisfying partnership in today’s world.
More Books by Harville Hendrix
Clicking on the links below will open a new browser window with amazon.ca book description .
- Getting the Sex You Want: Shed Your Inhibitions and Reach New Heights of Passion Together by Tammy Nelson, Imago Relationship Therapist (links to Amazon.com; may not be available yet in Canada)
- Getting the Love You Want: A Guide for Couples with a New Foreword by the Author by Harville Hendrix Ph.D (Author)
- Getting the Love You Want Workbook : The New Couples’ Study Guide by Harville Hendrix PhD (Author), Helen Hunt, Ph.D. (Author)
- Keeping The Love You Find
by Harville Hendrix, PhD (Author)
- Receiving Love : Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved by Harville Hendrix, PhD (Author), Helen Hunt, Ph.D. (Author)
- Giving The Love That Heals by Harville Hendrix, PhD (Author)
Books by others
Clicking on the links below will open a new browser window with amazon.ca book description.
- The Five Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts,
by Gary Chapman
A quick read for both people in the couple to share. You might be surprised what you learn about yourself, as well as your partner. And it will absolutely make some sense out of how you surprise yourself when you have missed feeling loved and your partner thought they were being very loving.
- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking,
by Susan Cain
A wonderful book that shows lovingly “The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking” Introverts will feeling seen and validated and extroverts will learn and gain important understanding.
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love
by Dr. Sue Johnson www.holdmetight.net
“A brilliant book about the power of love. Dr. Johnson has done her own research as well as informed herself about others, including Dr. John Bowlby, developmental psychologist. Dr. Johnson speaks simply and eloquently about dropping hurtful language like: dependant, co-dependant, attention seeking, needy, never ending, and others. She says, in essence :” Of course! EVERYONE needs love, needs to know where they fit, needs companionship, needs intimacy.” In love we flourish. In separation and fear, we wither. Excellent and inspiring couple’s stories. Very worth your time to read this book with your partner.” Enjoy, Nancy
- A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life’s Purpose by Eckhart Tolle
- The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment by Eckhart Tolle
- Divorce Remedy: The Proven 7-Step Program for Saving Your Marriage by Michele Weiner Davis
- 101 Nights of Grrreat Romance by Laura Korn (Author)
- A General Theory of Love by Thomas Lewis (Author), Fari Amini (Author), Richard Lannon (Author)
- Hot Monogamy: Essential Steps to More Passionate, Intimate Lovemaking by Patricia Love (Author)
- Sexual Energy Ecstasy: a Practical Guide to Lovemaking Secrets of the East and West by David and Ellen Ramsdale (Authors) recommended by Lucy Becker, Toronto Tantra instructor (www.tantraworkshops.com)
- How Can I Get Through to You? : Closing the Intimacy Gap Between Men and Women by Terrence Real (Author)
- I Don’t Want to Talk About It: Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression by Terrence Real (Author)