“I see no point in a marriage in which the overbalancing effort is directed at getting the other person to behave. The person I want to live my life with is the person to whom I can give the greatest opportunity to do with her life what she wants.”
Huge Prather in Notes on Love and Courage
Written in 1977….Who is this man anyway? Whoa. What a lovely thinker.
I have read Huge Prather’s first book: Notes to Myself and it meant a lot to me at the time. Early ’70’s I think it was. I found this Notes on Love and Courage on my self the other day when clearing things out to pass on to others, as I prepare to down size for my move to Michigan. This obviously is a keeper.
Let yourself really think deeply and sweetly for several moments about what your life would be like if both you and your partner took away any intention to get the other to behave in a way that may suit you better, but isn’t really their way at all……..
Think equally deeply and tenderly/sweetly about life with both of you consciously and mind fully offering the opportunity for encouraging the life each of you really want. That may well take talking, sharing, soul-searching, exploring and being very creative. But truth is, you both have the right and you both deserve to live the life of your dreams.
Co-create how to do that. I believe both people in a relationship, with intent, wisdom, courage, and love, can have the life they long to have; and I also believe that sometimes takes many hours of working as a team to actually happen
- I am grateful for the life I have created and Clo helped prepare for me.
- I am grateful for a gorgeous day. Aimee is spending hours out in the front watching the world go by and making wise comments about it from time to time.
- I am grateful for nourishing food I prepared yesterday and can still enjoy today.
- I am grateful my son sent the 8th draft of his book he is writing and I look forward to reading it!
- I am grateful I am healthy
Love always, Nancy